Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Evan's 1st School Field Trip...the Melaka Zoo!

Evan & I joined his school friends on their field trip to the Melaka zoo today. We had actually just been a couple of weeks earlier (with Cooper and Marte) , but he sure did have a great time with his "school kids" as he calls them. I was afraid that he was going to cling to me the entire time we were there, but surprisingly he stayed with his teacher and the other kids and I just followed along. I was glad I was there though, to help fight off all the mosquitoes from him. Those poor kiddos, some of them got several bites before the teachers got smart and put repellent on them. Luckily I was aware of how bad the mosquitoes are there so I had already bathed Evan in it before we arrived (we actually met the rest of kids there since I still don't feel comfortable letting him ride on the big bus with the rest of the kids...still being a bit overprotective in that area I suppose!!). He only managed to get one bite, so I was pleased. I, on the other hand, got about 10 bites even after applying the repellent....it's actually one of the things I hate most about living here...all the damn mosquitoes! Not a great place to be for someone who is so allergic to them!
Anyhow, it was a fun day...not too terribly hot...and thankfully we got to ride the zoo tram so we didn't have to walk the whole thing! We even attended a show at the end of the tour where some birds and an orangutan did a few tricks. By this time, I think E was a bit tired...and hungry...so he didn't seem to enjoy it as much as the rest of the day! All in all, we had a great time and look forward to the next field trip...although I'm not sure if there is another scheduled anytime soon!

Lining up and staying put exactly where his teacher placed him....he seems to be such a good listener when he is taking directions from his teachers....wished this worked the same at home with me!!
Queuing up .... ready to board the zoo tram...with Ms. Mina!
Being one of the littlest buys you some advantages...the teachers took care of him and gave him a prime viewing spot - that's E sitting up higher than everyone else

The show at the end of the zoo tour...that's E up at the very top with his cap on backwards....he was beat by this point...2 1/2 hours of walking around in the Malaysian heat (even if most of it was on a tram) was just about enough for him!! He became much more interested in the snacks I was giving him than the actual show after about 5 minutes!

This is the orangutan doing some of his tricks....he challenged a human at breaking open a coconut and won of course, and then this pic is where he did a stunt where he through his hands up, the trainer pretended to be pointing a gun at him and then he fell backwards as if to be shot....at least we think that is what was suppose to be happening...it was all in Bahasa Malay so we didn't understand much of it. It must have been pretty funny though because it had all the kids there laughing. Did I mention there were about 6 other schools there the same day....kids everywhere...I'm sure you can only imagine!

No comments: