Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mommy's Kickboxing Performance & Happy Birthday to Mommy!

Upon returning from the holidays, I quickly got back into my exercising routine, since I did nothing but eat while we were away, so I was desperate to start as soon as possible.  Well, after my first class back, our instructor informs us that a couple of dance studios are holding a demonstration/performance on the 23rd of January - 2 weeks away (with about 20 or so different routines) and he has decided he would like to showcase his classes and have some of us do a 6 minute kickboxing routine. So he asked for volunteers and....yes of course, I said that I would do it!  Little did I know that this so-called demonstration was actually what we call a "recital" for kids from about 3 years old to the oldest being maybe 15! And little did I know that this would require almost daily 2 hours practices. So while yes, it was great exercise, my body felt like it was about to fall apart come the 23rd, and I also felt a bit silly being one of the oldest people on the Jonker Street stage performing for hundreds and hundreds of strangers!  Let me tell you there was quite the crowd...no telling who ended up watching us perform!  The Chinese roll pretty tight when it comes to someone in their family doing something, so I guarantee the little girls...and boys performing probably had their parents, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, great aunts, great uncles, cousins, and 2nd and 3rd cousins there to watch!  WAIT.....this sounds a bit like my family!!!  And yes they probably all would have been there too if they were close enough to actually make it!!

Anyhow, as most of you have probably seen (via the YouTube video we posted via Facebook), it went well and I was actually pretty impressed that Chris was able to get all 14 of us to stay fairly well in-sync (we are talking about 20-40 years old here!).  We won't be winning any awards anytime soon, but I do have to admit, it was fun!  We had several of our friends come out and watch, so we all decided to stay out later and have a few drinks to celebrate and also to help celebrate my 35th birthday!  We had a great time....we drank way too much and stayed out way too late!  But even better was that Marte had agreed to stay the morning of her day off so that we could sleep in.  So Sunday morning rolls around and I hear Evan up at about 7:15 and shortly after that hear Marte getting him and bringing him down for breakfast.  Ahhhh, so I fall back asleep, never even hear a peep from Cooper and then wake up again at........10:00 AM!!!!  Wow, that was the best thing in the world!  I told Marte she couldn't have given me a better birthday present!!!!  I haven't slept in that late for at least 3 years, it was great!  Anyhow, I was fine the rest of the day....Andrew was a totally different story!  He napped on and off throughout the day (blaming me for keeping him out too late of course!) and finally recovered by dinner time when we decided to go out for my birthday!  We had a great meal and the boys must have sang me Happy Birthday at least 10 times!  I loved it!! 

And oh yeah, after my late morning wake-up, I got my favorite - an ice cream cake - and we even had a piece to celebrate! What a great hangover breakfast!!  Thanks boys!!

Kelly and Elle getting ready
Chris, our instructor - for some reason the only photo I have of him is one without his shirt on
Kelly and Marika
Us with Gaby and Johann (I had the black shadow on for a dramatic stage look, but I think it just looks like I got punched the eyes!
Elle and Kelly
The whole group
Tania, Julie and Gaby...partying it up after the show
You know we've had too much when we start taking pictures of ourself....and can't even get everyone in the picture...Sorry Michelle!
Michelle, Sarah, Gaby and me (I think I was actually saying something...or else that is one BIG smile!)
And my wonderful ice cream cake!  Thank you to the most fantastic men in my life!!  I love you all 3 dearly! Like always, you guys made my birthday so very special!

No comments: