I had a parent-teacher meeting with E's teachers yesterday to get an update on the progress he has made in the last 6 months....and it is remarkable how much he is learning! Not remarkable from the standpoint that he is a genius or anything, I guess this is just that age where they start to pick up so much all at once....so it was so wonderful to see all the work he is doing. He is definitely a smart child! In the last couple of months he has started learning to read! They say he is doing great and making good progress! He has also mastered writing his numbers 1 -10...all on his own - no more just tracing his numbers!! He is also working on writing his letters and is closer to mastering writing his own name. I also found out that he is learning Bahasa Malaysia....just a few things like eyes, mouth, nose, etc and all his vehicles and other basic words! It's precious to hear him speak in another language. Last night he counted to 6 for me in Malay! I was impressed, I didn't know he had already started picking it up. We also count in Spanish quite a bit, but I never make him repeat it, but after he counted in Bahasa I asked him to count in Spanish and he did it all on his own up to 5! I tell you, he must actually listen to me....even if it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes!! He is also learning a few songs in Bahasa and Mandarin, but I think he just knows more of the sounds than the actual words at this point. I've asked his teacher for a CD of songs in Mandarin that they sing at school so I can at least hear what it is he is trying to sing...even if I have no clue what they are saying either!! We are so very proud of our big boy and all the progress he continues to make! He loves going to school and I'm so happy that he is having such a good time learning!
He is in his last week of school before it lets out for the rest of the month before the start of the new school year (and before we head back to the states for nearly a month), so I hope he falls right back into the groove of things once we return! His little brother is going to be trying out school when we return as well, so we'll see how it all turns out come mid-January!
Our serious student....
and his love of reading! Don't you just love the book he chose to read!
Cooper pauses for a smile (yes, that is what that is suppose to be!)
Glad E's love of reading is rubbing off on his little brother!
No place better for a read than on the window sill!
No comments:
Post a Comment