"Life takes you on unexpected journeys, but love will always bring you home"
Sunday, January 13, 2008
We've made it back home from the holidays!!
I'd intended on posting a couple of entries while we were in the US so this one wouldn't be so long, but like I'm sure everyone else, we seemed to stay so busy visiting with family. I can't believe how fast 18 days flew by. Luckily, we travelled both ways with no problems whatsoever! We thought the weather in Chicago might have caused some problems, but we seemed to have missed the worst days on both sides....we did get to see alot of snow though! While we didn't actually go out in it, we pointed out to E what snow looked like since he'd never seen it before....but can't say he was too impressed!! As for travelling with a 14 month old....all I can say is it could have been a million times worse. Evan was actually quite a good kid and slept a good bit of the way, which made it nice. He received several comments from fellow passengers about how well he travelled...so we called that success!! I'm not sure how we will ever do it with 2 kiddos, but I guess it happens...we saw several people traveling with 2 or 3...it definitely will take some patience!!!
Here's in at the Shanghai airport on the way back to the US.We had a fantastic time at both our parents houses. E had a great time riding in his new red wagon. Boss took him down to the park a couple of days and he said they had the best time. The weather was actually just beautiful...not too hot and not too cold...it was perfect. My parents had also set up a "mini-playground" in their garage for E in case it was too cold outside for him and he loved it....although we found out he hated the sound of the garage door being opened. He was actually terrified of going back into the garage for a couple of days after he first heard it. It took some coercing to get him back in it and then he was fine after he realized the door wasn't some big "monster mouth!" It seemed like he started opening presents from the time we arrived. There were so many toys for him to play with that he had to open them early so he'd get a chance to play with those we didn't have room to bring back with us. And oh my goodness, you should have seen the nursery my parents put together for him. It looked better than the one I have for him here. They had wallpapered on one of those murals that takes up the entire wall with a scene from like the Jungle Book and had a matching bedding set and everything....it looked great! You would have thought they were planning on keeping Evan with them!! They did way too much for the short time we were visiting, but my mom insisted that she was doing it for her "precious angel" regardless of how long he was visiting. I'm not sure why I never got a picture of it, but I'll have to have my mom get one to me somehow so I can post it out here.Anyhow, so E also had 2 Dr. appts while we were in Laredo...a pedi appt to get his 12 month vaccinations and his 1st dentist appt. The pediatrician appt was miserable....the nurse who gave him the vaccinations was horrible....I don't think she could have made it anymore painful if she tried...the poor guy whailed and ended up with a knot in his right thigh that is only now starting to disappear. He was a real trooper though and only cried until we walked out of the Dr's office...guess he'd had enough of the place. As for his dentist appt....all is great and we found out that E was getting 4 of his molars....so we've had some teething issues lately. They've finally all cut through so it's not so bad any longer. We weren't ever sure if it was his teeth that were bothering him because he also chose Christmas Eve to get sick on us. He puked up his entire Christmas Eve dinner (by the way, I've never seen so much come out of such a little person!!), had diarehha and began running a high fever. So when his fever was even higher on Christmas Day, we chose to take him to the ER...since all the Dr's offices and 24 hour clinics were closed for Christmas. Of course, the ER Dr made us feel like we were complete fools for taking him there because he said he only had a virus. We were traveling to OK the next day, so I wanted to be sure he got some antibiotics in case it was a bacterial infection, but the Dr. ensured us it was only a virus....he was a real ass and could have been a bit nicer given it was Christmas Day....we weren't at home either enjoying the day!! While in Laredo, we also made a trip to Eldorado (a memorable one given that Andrew didn't make it one week back in the country without getting a speeding ticket...another ass who you would have thought would have been in the giving mood given the holiday season...NOPE....$185 for 12 miles over the speed limit - which we still don't believe....crazy!!). We also had a great time there. We were able to visit with my Honey (my Mom's mom) and then my aunt and a few cousins also came into town for a nice visit. We also visited with my Grandma T (my Dad's mom) and another aunt and some cousins. It was so good to be able to see everyone. We just wish we'd been able to see more of my family. We were only there for a day, but it was worth the trip.
Here is Evan and Honey in Eldorado. And Evan and Grandma T Saying goodbye to BeBe and Boss before we head to Oklahoma. So on the 26th we travelled to Oklahoma to visit the Thompsons. The flight was a breeze given that we'd already done 30 hours of traveling just the week before, but once we got to Tulsa....4 of our 5 bags hadn't made it with us. They'd had some confusion in Dallas and our bags were still there. Funny enough, the only piece of luggage that did make it was the one filled with toys that BeBe and Boss had given Evan....alot of good those were going to do us. Fortunately, they were able to locate them and we had them delivered to Muskogee at 2 in the morning....just in time to get up and brush our teeth the next morning!!! We had our 2nd Christmas Day the evening we arrived...although everyone had to wait and get our gifts the next morning since they were in one of the pieces of luggage that was missing. We had a great time visiting with all the family and E had a great time playing with his cousin Drew. You can see some pictures below of the 2 of them in their matching PJs. Our time in Muskogee was really great....we did alot of laying low which is exactly what we needed. Evan didn't feel great most of the time we were there...running a fever and with a horribly runny nose. You could tell he just didn't feel well at all. Unfortunately, we had a photographer coming by early in the week to get a few pictures of the boys (of course, in their matching sweaters) as well as some family photos and E just wasn't having a great day...so no smiles and alot of crying during the whole event. Needless to say, there were very few photos worth purchasing. He did start feeling a bit better a couple of days before we headed out (lucky for us, since a sick kid on that long of a flight would not have been fun at all!!!), so at least Nana and Pop had a happy grandkid for at least some of our visit....you can tell he was back in full swing when the video was taken.
As for New Year's Eve - it was fairly uneventful.....as expected being 5 months pregnant, I guess!! Andrew's little brother Jeff and his wife came back to Muskogee from OKC to have NY's eve dinner with us....Nana and Pop stayed at home and watched after E. We had a good time, but didn't quite make it to midnight....I think we all hit the hay about 11:00!So at 4am on the 2nd, we headed to Tulsa to catch our flight back to Malaysia. As I said before, we had no problems at all, with the weather or anything else. Although, it was a bit diffucult in Shanghai. We had to claim our luggage there and recheck it in. So with 6 pieces of luggage (we acquired 2 more than we left with!!), Evan, his stroller, 2 carryon bags and a carseat....it made that process a bit difficult. But other than that, it was a pretty uneventful trip back home. E did well, but was definitely through with being in an airplane for awhile. Luckily, it took no time at all to get readjusted to the time difference. It was quite a different process when we went the other way. It must have taken Evan about 5 days to finally get his nights and days straight. He'd take wonderful naps during the day, but would wake up about 2am every morning, just ready to go. I felt so bad for the poor guy....I know how I felt, so I know it was hard on him too.Anyhow, we are back now and finally settled back into our routine. We wish we'd had a longer visit, but it was nice to get back into our own bed again! We head to pick up the new nanny/maid tomorrow, so we are hoping this new help works out as well as the previous lady we used. Which by the way, was no fun to say good-bye to. I think she had gotten so used to caring for E that she just broke down and cried on her last day. It was so sad, I hated to see her cry. I know she probably felt like Evan was one of her own grandkids, so I insisted that she could come visit anytime or that we would go to her house to visit from time to time....that seemed to help. We just hope and pray that Marti will be as loving and caring with Evan as Ramyee had been.....wish us luck!!! Not to mention I have to get used to having another person in the house 24/7. I'm sure I'm going to look back at this time and totally be wishing I could have this sort of help when are back in the US!!
Sorry again for the rather lengthy posting!! I'll try to keep them brief this year! Hope everyone has a wonder ful 2008!!
Here is a family photo of us on the day that we had the professional photographer over, but didn't get one single good family shot the entire time!! This was the best we could manage....and it was with our own camera before she actually arrived!
No comments:
Post a Comment